We are delighted to announce that we’ve made it to the finals of the 2019 ‘Family Business of the Year’ Awards!
Fresh Start are one of only eight companies to be shortlisted in the ‘North and Northern Ireland’ category of the ‘People’s Choice’ Award – and the only one in Greater Manchester that’s led by a female Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
An online public vote will determine the winner of the ‘People’s Choice’ Award for each region across the UK, with the closing date to have your say set for Tuesday, 30 April.
“We are delighted to be in contention for such a prestigious award,” said Nicola McGrath, who is our CEO. “Our vision is to lead the way in waste management across the North West and I am very proud of what my family and our staff have achieved locally in the past 14 years.
‘In addition to employing more than 100 people, we’ve sponsored community groups ranging from under 10s rugby to children’s football clubs, as well as bowling tournaments and even an arm-wrestling champion! We’ll be unveiling our chosen ‘Charity of the Year’ shortly, alongside an exciting scheme to offset our carbon footprint. Representing Greater Manchester in these awards means everything to us and we hope to do the region proud.”
Here are some interesting facts about our business:
• We have recycled the equivalent weight of 10 million wine bottles
• The energy saved through our glass recycling efforts would be sufficient to wash more than 14 million football kits
• We have recycled the equivalent of 50,000 Scottish pines in card
• Our mixed municipal waste that is sent for waste to energy generates enough electricity to power 2.5 million computer screens for an hour
• Our recovered waste food generates enough green energy to cook more than 150,000 roast dinners
Fresh Start was founded in 2005 by Nicola and her father Paul Rogers. Her brother Paul Rogers Jnr is a Non-Executive Director; her sister-in-law Emma Rogers is our Operations Co-Ordinator; and her niece Brooklyn Rogers is nearly two years into completing an NVQ in Business Administration.