Fresh Start Waste Services: Ascending the Waste Hierarchy in Healthcare Collaboration


In the intricate dance of waste management, Fresh Start Waste Services have taken centre stage, showcasing a commitment to sustainability, innovation, and social responsibility. Our recent induction into the NHS Shared Business Services Framework is a testament to our expertise in the field. The induction is a stepping stone toward a collaborative ascent of the waste hierarchy within the healthcare sector.


Numbers Speak Louder Than Words


We have not just entered the healthcare arena; we have outshone regional and national competitors in recent tenders. The framework scoring attests to our excellence, securing top positions across all categories. From continuity to health and safety, and from contract management to social value, we are extremely proud to have emerged as a frontrunner. We not only excelled overall but have also led in specific lots such as commercial and domestic waste (Lot 5.1) and food recycling (Lot 5.2). This achievement is no small feat, considering competitors like B&M Waste, Biffa, Suez, and Veolia were left trailing in our wake.


A Unique Approach to Waste Management


What sets us apart is our unique approach to waste management. With an unwavering commitment to environmental consciousness, over 92% of recycling-classified containers are collected separately. This distinguishes us from industry practices that often resort to waste-to-energy solutions, which emit 0.7-1.7 tonnes of carbon for every tonne processed.


At our Swinton facility, waste is processed meticulously. Recycling stays separate and up to 75% of dry mixed waste is recycled. The remaining 25% is converted to energy via Refuse-Derived Fuel (RDF). Furthermore, we are actively reducing our reliance on RDF, demonstrating a steadfast commitment to sustainable waste management.



healthcare waste hierarchy

Social Values at the Core

Fresh Start Waste Services extends our impact beyond waste management, embedding social value at the core of all operations. Partnering with Too Good To Go, the world’s largest surplus food app, we actively contribute to reducing food waste. As an Age-Friendly and Real Living Wage Employer, we support numerous charities with an annual commitment, making a tangible difference in the communities we serve.


Our Carbon Conscious initiative, in collaboration with Forest Carbon, is another testament to our dedication. While working towards having our entire fleet on alternative energy, we avoid declaring carbon neutrality solely through carbon credits, ensuring authenticity and transparency. Our approach combines efficiency, evident in practices like using split body wagons for food and glass, with a commitment to sidestepping greenwashing.


Understanding of the Healthcare Sector


Our induction into the NHS Shared Business Services Framework is not just a milestone; it’s a proclamation of our commitment to sustainable waste management across the healthcare.

Working together with all our healthcare clients, we help you climb the waste hierarchy in a way which works in the nuances of your unique healthcare setting. This results in both reduced cost and carbon impact of your waste programme. This ongoing relationship we have with our healthcare clients means ‘step by step’ we work to continuously improve each client’ position on the waste hierarchy, as technology advances.


Our approach, along with social responsibility and transparent practices, positions us as an exemplary partner in healthcare sector waste hierarchy ascension. Continuing to innovate and collaborate, we are poised to lead the charge towards a greener, more responsible future in waste management. We welcome contact from any healthcare organisation interested in working alongside us.

Find out more:

Clinical Waste